Work requiring a building permit
permit is required for any construction which physically changes or
adds structures to your property or for work regulated by local Codes
or Ordinances, such as:
- New Buildings
- Additions-Room additions, patio covers, swimming pools, etc.
- Alterations-Re-roofs, garage conversions, exterior stucco, new
- Repairs-Replacement of water heaters or other plumbing fixtures, air
conditioning units, new electrical service, and rewiring, etc.
- Moving or demolishing a building.
- Installation of heating equipment, such as stoves, wall heaters
is not required for the following:
- One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds,
playhouses, and similar uses, provided the floor area does not
exceed one hundred twenty (120) square feet.
- Fences not over six (6) feet high.
- Movable cases, counters and partitions not over five (5) feet high.
- Retaining walls not over four (4) feet high measured from the bottom
of the footing to the top of the wall and not supporting a surcharge
or impounding Class I, II, or III-A liquids. Contact your local Building
Official for walls retaining soils in close proximity of the property
- Water tanks supported directly on grade if the capacity does
not exceed five thousand (5000) gallons and the ratio of height to diameter
or width does not exceed two to one (2:1).
- Platforms, walks or driveways not more than thirty (30) inches above
grade and not over any basement or story below. Contact your
local Building Official if the walks or platforms are accessible to
- Painting, papering and similar finish work.
- Temporary motion picture, television, and theatre stage sets and scenery.
- Window awnings supported by an exterior wall of Group R-3 or
U-1 Occupancy when projecting not more than fifty four (54) inches.
- Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R-3 Occupancy in
which the pool walls are entirely above the adjacent grade and if the
capacity does not exceed five thousand (5000) gallons. (Note:
Associated electrical work does require a permit.)